With hurricane season upon us, we wanted to share some tips on how to stay safe. These storms are serious and require a lot of preparation beforehand, and caution both during and after. We are here to help! Here are some tips from FEMA on what to do before a hurricane hits, during the storm, and after it passes.
Before the storm:
- Sign up for local alerts. You can receive important warnings and alerts to your mobile devices.
- Make an evacuation plan. This includes packing a bag in case you need to leave quickly, learning evacuation routes, and having a communication plan.
- Gather emergency supplies and have them ready to go.
- Make sure your property is protected by reviewing your insurance policies and taking an inventory of your belongings.
- Protect your important documents including legal, medical, educational, and financial records.
During the storm:
- If local authorities advise you to evacuate, leave immediately.
- If you are not advised to evacuate, stay away from windows and take shelter on the lowest level of the building to avoid danger from high winds.
- If there is flooding, move to higher ground quickly.
- Do not walk or drive through any flooded roads.
- Call 9-1-1 if you are in life-threatening danger.
After the storm:
- Only return to the area if authorities say that it’s safe to do so.
- Beware of residual flooding. Never drive or walk through flooded roads.
- Be careful to avoid dangerous hazards like downed power lines or trees.
- When removing debris, wear the proper attire including gloves and thick-soled shoes. Never attempt to remove large debris by yourself.
- Avoid drinking tap water until authorities say that it’s safe.
Hurricanes pose threats even after they pass, and we hope these tips are helpful to those who may experience a hurricane this year. We can’t control the weather, but we can control how well we prepare for it! FEMA is a great resource for hurricane preparation. Click here to access a PDF from FEMA that has all sorts of helpful information to keep you and your family safe!
Choosing a reputable background check provider has never been more important. Unfortunately, not all background check providers are equal, and not...